Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley and More to Honor Johnny Cash on ‘Forever Words’
Johnny Cash continues to dominate over the music world even after his passing; this time, he’s hitting the shelves with his set of personal poems set to music by other artists in a collection called Forever Words.
Asking upon musicians from all over the industry to provide their voices to the poetry sampling, Cash will be remembered through recordings of anyone from Willie Nelson to Kacey Musgraves to Alison Krauss. Other names listed for the project include Brad Paisley, Kris Kristofferson, Elvis Costello, Jamey Johnson and more.
Leaving it up to a team to hand-select the right people for the job, all eyes looked toward Cash’s son for validation on how Forever Words would come about.
“Determining the artist for each song was truly a matter of the heart,” John Carter Cash said. “I picked the artists who are most connected with my father, who had a personal story that was connected with Dad. It became an exciting endeavor to go through these works, to put them together and present them to different people who could finish them in a way that I believed that Dad would have wanted.”
Becoming a passion project for the family as a whole, Forever Words will come with all the handwritten notes from Cash including letters to his beloved June Carter Cash and documents found when his parents passed away.
Forever Words, which will feature 16 tracks total, is available for pre-order now.
Johnny Cash: Forever Words Track List:
1. “Forever/I Still Miss Someone” – Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. “To June This Morning” – Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. “Gold All Over the Ground” – Brad Paisley
4. “You Never Knew My Mind” – Chris Cornell
5. “The Captain’s Daughter” – Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. “Jellico Coal Man” – T Bone Burnett
7. “The Walking Wounded” – Rosanne Cash
8. “Them Double Blues” – John Mellencamp
9. “Body on Body” – Jewel
10. “I’ll Still Love You” – Elvis Costello
11. “June’s Sundown” – Carlene Carter
12. “He Bore It All” – Daily and Vincent
13. “Chinky Pin Hill” – I’m With Her
14. “Goin’, Goin’, Gone” – Robert Glasper featuring Ro James,and Anu Sun
15. “What Would I Dreamer Do?” – The Jayhawks
16. “Spirit Rider” – Jamey Johnson